Saturday, July 12, 2014

Joyful Redemption- Africa Day 2

Today was another day full of adventures!  We started with the Maternity home connected with the Crisis pregnancy center. We heard the heartache of one of the girls there, as she told the story of how she came to be pregnant. This 14 year old was impregnanted by her father, after her mother had died. She had suffered so much, it was incomprehendable to think of how much pain her self esteem, heart, and health was and is in. She gave birth to a beautiful daughter and was staying at the maternity home to learn skills such as tailoring, gardening, and working with poultry. I was so blessed to see these women learning skills, and being loved by the mothers there. The Lord was ever so present leading them through the trials they had faced and redeeming there lives! 

After that, we drove down the rode to the Nehemiah Boys Ranch. I have to be honest, I was a little uncomfortable and nervous about this one. A group of young men my age, many found on the street, just learning about Christ seemed a little scary to a white teenage girl. How incorrect my thoughts were. I probably haven't met many other more respectful young men in my life. We all gathered in a circle and shared our names and aspirations. The boys went around saying what they wanted to become with such certainty.  Many had dreams of being lawyers, doctors, and engineers. I love how God used those dreams to encourage me. How often I tell myself," I can't be that",  " There is not enough opportunities",  " I will never get into a school that offers that program" , and " I will never be good enough to do that." Yet these 12 boys, that live in the middle of Africa, on a far off dirt road, with a well, and a small building, with broken windows, covered in wire, believed that with God they could do anything! What a powerful example of how following Christ can get you so far. 

Next Barbra,  Paster Edwards wife, showed us the barber shop and boutique they owned that raises funds for the Sara Rose foundation. As she introduced us to the managers she came around to me and said this is my daughter Lexi, I laughed because we had a conversation yesterday about her son being 17 just as I was.  Barabra and I seem to have a lot in common and she would like me to stay here and become her sons wife. Although I have never even met this young man. Now Brandon, not to worry, I still love you! 

After that, I think I smiled as big as the Cheshire Cat when I heard we were going to Indian food ( my favorite )! Back in the states my Daddy and I have gone on several dates to the Taj Mahal and ate fantastic Indian cuisine, just like what we had today! (Daddy, we had Tandori Chicken, rice, and Indian bread!) We have returned to our hotel, and are winding down before the 3 hour long service for Church in the morning! 

Thank you Lord for the tender heart you have blessed me with, and the wonderful laughs and hope you have instilled in our team! We live for your Glory:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment